Take the Guesswork Out of Selecting the Right Self Storage UnitApril 30, 2018
Most people have at least heard of self storage, even if they have no idea what it really is. We wanted to take some time and explain the basics of renting a self storage unit, in an effort to help you understand a little more about the industry and learn a little more about self storage. First of all, be sure to stop by the facility where you are interested in renting your self storage unit and talk to the property manager. Rule of thumb, a facility with a property manager on site will provide you with better service, more security and a great resource to go to when you have questions or concerns. If there is no manager on site, it’s best to find a facility that offers this benefit. At Stop and Store Harrisburg, we have an on-site a property manager who is ready to become your new BFF. Here are a couple of the basics you will need to know and take care of when you are ready to rent your self storage unit:
The Basics of Renting Storage Units
- Determine which size storage unit you will need. Our friendly property manager can help you figure this out with just a few questions and by showing you some actual storage units on site. We even offer an online unit size calculator to get you started.
- Bring at least one form of Photo I.D. with you. When you are ready to sign the lease and rent your storage unit, you will need to show photo identification such as a driver’s license, passport or other state or government issued photo identification.
- Show proof of rental insurance or purchase insurance on site. Our lease requires that you carry rental insurance for your self storage unit. If your property is worth storing, it is worth insuring. Not to mention that it gives you peace of mind that your belongings are safe while in storage at our facility and you are covered if anything happens. You can present proof of your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance when you sign the lease, or you can purchase insurance through a third-party provider which we offer on site. If you have questions, simply ask our property manager and he will gladly help!
- Be sure to have some form of payment. You will need to pay for your first month’s rent upon signing the lease. We accept cash, check or money order, and major credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover). We can even help you set up future payments using our online payment system where you can have monthly payments applied automatically on a certain date or manually make payments when you log in.
Now that we have covered some of the basics, we wanted to give you answers to some of the questions we receive frequently:
- How long is my lease? All of our leases are month-to-month, which means no long-term contracts. You decide how long you need to keep your storage unit. You may think you need it for six months and it ends up that you only need it for four months. Or the contrary, you may think you need it for six months, but as time goes by you realize you need it for a year or longer. That’s no problem at Harrisburg Self Storage! Another benefit we offer on our leases is that we prorate them after the 1st of the month when you move in. So, if you sign the lease on the 15th, you’re not paying for the first 14 days of the month.
- When is the rent due? Rent is due on the first (1st) of each month. If rent is not paid by the fifth (5th) of the month, a late fee is assessed and continues to accrue when not paid. But don’t worry – we make it easy to pay your rent on time. Read our blog “Here’s the 411 on Making Payments…” to learn more about making payments.
- Can my spouse or another alternate contact pay my account balance? Yes. Anyone can make a payment on your account. If someone else does make a payment on your account, no account information will be given to them because we value your privacy. Account information is only given to the person who signed the lease, no exceptions.
- When can I access my unit? We offer unit access from 6am-10pm seven days a week, which includes holidays. We also offer 24-hour access if requested and approved. We understand that some people work different shifts and need access outside the normal hours. To enter the facility at any time, even during normal business hours, you will need your individual access code that is given to you when you sign the lease. This helps us know who is on the property at all times, offering you added security when you access your unit. No one can enter the facility unless they are a current tenant.
- Can I contact you after hours? You sure can! We have a call service that will answer the phones outside normal business hours. They can take a message for the property manager, take rental payments over the phone and answer many of your questions on the spot. If a return call is necessary, the property manager will contact you as soon as he or she is back in the office.
These are just a few of the most common questions we are asked. If you want to learn more about self storage and the common questions people ask us on a regular basis, you can read over our large list of Frequently Asked Questions.
Simply fill out our contact form or call 717-238-2411 if you would like more information or wish to talk directly to a property manager. We look forward to hearing from you soon!